No Sewing Required Office Chair Re-upholstery Project
I had five consecutive days off of work, during which time I had a wishlist of things to get done. I wound up only getting a few of the things on my list finished, but fortunately, the big one was my craft room chair makeover.
This chair is 20+ years old, and looked it. There are tons of step-by-step videos on YouTube, and I would recommend starting there if you want to tackle a project like this. It only took a few hours and some hard work once I got started.
A few tips:
Make sure that you have enough of whatever fabric you choose to match patterns if you need to. I didn’t on this project because I was just using up a large upholstery weight remnant that I would never in a million years use for anything else and was doing the project just to see if I could. I came close, but not quite. Fortunately, this chair also has a black plastic shell for the backrest, so I only had to upholster the seat and front of the backrest. We’ll just call my pattern mismatching intentional.
- Work on those corners and angles. I didn’t do it very well, so there are some visible folds on the edges, but they look okay, and definitely better than before. My fabric didn’t have a lot of stretch, and that may have been the problem.
- Take pictures, not just for before and after photos, but so you know how to reassemble your chair after you’ve disassembled it.
- This project required a Phillips-head screwdriver, hammer, mallet, and Allen Wrenches.
- I used an electric staple gun and 3/8″ staples. Be prepared to use a little muscle to get your staples to go all the way in your wooden base. I tried using longer staples, and they would not go all the way in. In this case, less is better.
- Have a sheet or something down on the floor so you can work without worrying about getting your project dirty.
- I added some poly quilt batting, especially to the arms, which had totally deflated over the years.
- I chose not to spray paint anything, as the base was in great condition. The back is also a black plastic shell, with only minimal scuffing. I just cleaned it well.
I still have a lot of leave left for this leave year, and two more chairs to do. And better fabric. And a little more motivation now that I’ve done it once.
UPDATE: I had to redo my sad little lumbar pillow too. I reused the stuffing with a little added.